Is meningioma and lipoma a birth defect and are they connected? Should I go for surgery?

Neurologist, Surgical
As per my previous inquiries I have since spoken with my neurosurgeon who says my brain tumor a flax meningioma 2.1x2.1x2.1cm is not the cause for my severe daily headaches but says it is not helping them any. Was placed on midrid which I basically take non stop severe debilitating headaches also no seizures just passing out from pain level micro prescribed spinal tumor too large to remove had resection of very small portion 4/2012 to decompress cord neurosurgeon says birth defect can meningioma and lipoma both be connected? Are they both birth defects? He says lipoma can grow no bigger as spinal cord no longer growing what will happen to me if it can't come out due to damage what about damage left in? He says we will aggressively monitor meningioma as possible inward growth to Sagittal sinus he says anything odd go to er straight away. I refused removal straight away due to finances and if headaches can be controlled with meds and he said ok to monitor I don't want my brain hacked on if not necessary. Can the lipoma and meningioma be connected and should I go ahead with surgery or wait?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Visvanathan K 1 hour later
The meningioma is not a birth defect. It is a variety of tumour from the lining of the brain. It is usually benign and slow growing. The lipoma and meningioma are not connected.

I think the decision that you made jointly with your Neurosurgeon to monitor the meningioma closely and intervene only if necessary at a later date is a valid option. In general, the options for meningioma are to operate, serial monitoring with imaging or radio surgery. There is no one single correct option. Each option has pros and cons and given your circumstance, I think the decision you have taken is prudent.

Hope this helps.