Is medicine needed to lower cholesterol levels?

My Lipid Profile investigation results are as follows - Cholesterol total 238 Triglycerides 158 HDL 42.9 LDL 163.5 VLDL 31.6 Cholesterol ration 5.5 Do I need to start a medication immediately for 3 or 6 months to lower Cholestrol. If yes then which medicine is advisable with minimum side effects.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that seeing your reports in my opinion I will advise you to consider diet therapy and life style modifications for at least 1 month and then repeat the test . If it doesnt improve by then it would be advisable to start medicine . Start losing weight if you are obese .Avoid fatty foods , increase salad in your diet , regular exercise 30 minutes a day five times a week is advisable . I see that you have been advised with Rosuvastatin 20 mg and resvita which is a kind of vitamin supplement . There is no harm in starting that but I am of the opinion that the levels are minimally deranged so you can wait . Also a thyroid profile is advisable . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Is medicine needed to lower cholesterol levels? 40 minutes later
Thanks for the advise Dr. XXXXXXX I too would prefer to take medication if it is the last resort as there are side effects. The above test results have slightly deteriorated from previous year (in 2012 they were Cholestrol - 238, Triglycerides - 163, HDL - 43, LDL - 158, VLDL - 33, Cholestrol Ratio - 5). I am 5'9" at 75.5 kg. With no history of any cholestrol or diabities and aged at 46 yrs, I am more focussed on preventive measures on any of these front - especially Cholestrol & Diabities. I have a hectic schedule (almost 8 to 8) but try to walk for 30~40 minutes post dinner daily. Will also try to re-start mild exercising (on tread mill and cross cycle). Any other advise to on diet.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Try to lose weight at least 5 KGs and add salads on to your diet . Have at least 8-10 glasses of water daily . Try to also have green tea which is a good source of antioxidants and help you in losing weight . Dr. Shruti