Is medical marijuana available in UK as treatment for Parkinson's disease?

Is medical marijuana available in UK as treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 49 minutes later

Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

No. In the UK marijuana is not legalised for any medical indication. There are very few countries where this situation does not hold true. Belgium and Holland would be the exceptions.

A synthetic form of the active ingredient of cannabis is legal in the UK and elsewhere. It is called dronabinol. This is unsatisfactory however as it is often not clear what exact component of marijuana is having therapeutic effect.

I trust you are on e-l'dopa and have considered XXXXXXX Brain Stimulation (DBS).

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.