Is marijuana good for epilepsy. How is it used to treat such problems?

Neurologist
Question
is marijuana good for epilepsy if so how is it used to treat such problem
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 21 minutes later

There are reports that marijuana controls seizures in experimental animals. In humans, only anecdotal case reports are available. Thus scientific basis to use this recreational drug is still lacking. The psychological potential of this drug must be kept in mind with use of this drug. I will put it that use of marijuana can be considered as an experimental drug in very difficult-to-control epilepsy. It has to be administered under medical supervision.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back for further queries, if you have.

Pratap

Follow-up: Is marijuana good for epilepsy. How is it used to treat such problems? 7 days later
not to say that your telling me to go and try marijuana to treat my epilepsy spell. what kind of strain is used and how many grams is sopposed to be taken daily

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

I repeat that this is an experimental drug for the epilepsy and such it will not be correct to recommend you the drugs or its dosage.

Dr Pratap

Follow-up: Is marijuana good for epilepsy. How is it used to treat such problems? 40 hours later
OK SORRY IM JUST TRYING TO LOOK FOR A EASIER WHAY AROUND PILLS I WANT MY LIVER TO LAST LONGER

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

Thanks for the inquiry

The easiest and safest way to control seizures is to regularly take antiepileptic drug under medical supervision usually for 2-3 years. Your doctor will definitely address your concern for liver. Marijuana can cause far more damage than antiepileptic drugs.

Dr. Pratap

Follow-up: Is marijuana good for epilepsy. How is it used to treat such problems? 6 days later
well i stoped taking lamictal and keppra and went back to valium and amitriptylin and propranolol and smoked .3g of marijuana is it safe to mix all this togheter im thinking of stoping diazepam and just staying on amitriptyline and propranolol and marijuana what do you think please think of it as your saving a life not helping a regular patient

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 25 hours later

I apologize for the delayed response.

Since you have stopped lamictal and keppra, the other list of drugs you are on except valium are not regular anticonvulsants and therefore have no significant use in preventing seizure per se. Valium by itself has only short term benefits and marijuana is still under research and not approved yet in the field of seizure prevention.

I recommend use of regular anticonvulsant drugs to prevent seizure. And this suggestion is considering life of a patient.

Best Regards

Follow-up: Is marijuana good for epilepsy. How is it used to treat such problems? 20 hours later
ok thanks

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 5 hours later
Hope my suggestions were informative.

If you have no more follow-ups, I request you to close this discussion. Any reviews will also be appreciated.