Is lower abdominal swelling a hernia or ruptured muscles?

General Surgeon
In HS I did a group workout and tore the muscles in my abdomen and surrounding areas. I know this because I went from being tiny to looking like I swallowed a life raft. There was fluid and I was put on a diuretic. Since then I've stayed away from doing serious ab workouts. A few months ago I worked out with a friend and the same thing happened only less extreme, it was 2 inches below the belly button and I thought it was a hernia. The doctor said he'd never seen that happen to anyone, but it wasn't a hernia and to contact a sports medicine doctor. I am 5'6 118lbs I'm a vegetarian, I eat healthy and get a lot of exercise, but I've recently started going to the gym and I'm worried that bi-proxy from other workouts, that I might have the swelling again. Is this indicative of a greater condition?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 5 hours later

We need to have a first hand information of a doctor who observed it, what is his opinion even though not a 'hernia'.

As muscle tear or rupture do occur during strenuous exercise. This happen in many muscles of body ,like biceps of upper arm & sometimes even tendons also give way. Once torn or ruptured muscle never gains 100% strength (as was present previously). Even after best treatment strength gain is 80-90% depending upon the site & use & functions of muscles. In those who do less strenuous work/sedentary work this strength is sufficient for routine work.

So this need regular attention. Very strenuous exercise involving this particular muscle be avoided or taken care of. The routine life & work should not of much problem.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Follow-up: Is lower abdominal swelling a hernia or ruptured muscles? 11 hours later
He said I ruptured the ligaments, to ice it and bed rest. I guess what I need to know is do you think this is a secondary illness brought on by some type of cancer or heart disease, etc. Is this a symptom or just the result of over strenuous activity? I'm 22 healthy and extremely health conscious... If it's related to anything else. What exactly could that be?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 11 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

I don`t think it is related to some cancer or heart problem. But still in doubt you can get the FNAC done to rule out cancer, ECG & echo to rule out heart disease. I don`t feel you need it.

Rupture & tear of tendon & muscles following strenuous exercise are common, and we see commonly in our practice. Viral Myopathy is another condition, but that effects multiple muscles, very rarely single muscle.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.