Is liquid EDTA good in reducing arterial plaque?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Is liquid EDTA effective in reducing arterial plaque?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
EDTA therapy, combined with oral vitamins and minerals has been studied to dissolve plaques and mineral deposits associated with atherosclerosis. But it has been found mildly effective only in the animal studies and could not be applied to humans.
EDTA chelation therapy is no better than placebo in improving symptoms of heart disease in humans. Some medical experts believe that the theories about why chelation might help treat atherosclerosis depend on an outdated understanding of how heart disease develops.
Finally, and probably most important, the safety of EDTA chelation therapy for people with heart disease is not known.
So, it is not used for dissolving the arterial plaques in humans.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Is liquid EDTA good in reducing arterial plaque? 2 hours later
Thank you for the information on EDTA. Is there anything that has been found to dissolve arterial plaque in humans?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Till date all the medicines that are used do prevent further plaque deposition. The medicines to dissolve already deposited plaques are still under trials. However a group of drug termed "Tissue Plasminogen Activator" (TPA) has been used in clinical practice to dissolve clots that are recently formed (within 3-6 hours). TPA does not have properties to dissolve older clots/plaques though.

Hope this answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.