Is liposuction safe when suffering from heart disease?

I am a 66 year old male in generally good health. I had an aortic valve replacement in 1998 and have a St. Judes prosthetic valve. I also have mitral valve prolapse which has so far not caused any problems. I am very close to my ideal weight based on my age, height, and weight but still have somewhat of a belly and love handles. I am considering lipo-laser body contouring to help reduce the fat in this area. Does this procedure work and is it safe for me to have this done? Thank You. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer: You can consider it after moderating coumadin use Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your question here. I went through the details with diligence and I am happy you have a stable heart. Lipo-laser which is a form of non-invasive liposuction (non surgical fat reduction) procedure is considered less effective than conventional liposuction techniques. But if the fat stores are not much (as described by you), non-invasive lipo methods should be sufficient to take care of it. You should talk to your cardiologist and get your anticoagulant medicines withheld for a few days (3 or more days) before starting lipo-laser. This is important to avoid excessive bleeding during and after the procedure. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards