Is light pink spotting normal during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
I am about 5 or 6 weeks pregnant and just noticed some very light pink spotting when I wiped after using the restroom. I just had my blood work done and my doctor called me yesterday evening to tell me everything was fine. I'm going back Monday for more blood work just to make sure... Is this spotting normal? What could be causing it?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Occasionally during a normal pregnancy, some amount of spotting can occur. This is normal, as long as the baby remains fine. This can only be told after you have blood B HCG levels ( proper serial rise in blood B HCG levels ) and an ultrasound scan to document heartbeat in the embryo. In your case, as there is no heavy bleeding / pain / cramps / clots, in all probability, the pregnancy is normal. Mild cervical blood vessels can lead to spotting at times. Comparison of the two B HCG values will tell. Please let me know the date of your last menstrual period, as I can advise an ultrasound scan accordingly. Meanwhile, please take rest. Avoid intercourse, jerks while travelling and any other kinds of stress. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Is light pink spotting normal during pregnancy? 5 minutes later
Thank you. The first day of my last period was january 17th. I had an u/s last tuesday but there was only the gestational sac and yolk sac. My doctor at first advised that either it was a pregnancy that didnt take or it was just too early...and i actually conceived later than i thought. I had 2 HCG tests last week that showed they were rising as they should be. I have one more scheduled on monday just to make sure. When i had the very light pink spotting, i noticed that sthere was something in the toilet as well...but it was not a clot or anything...the spotting was very very light pink...but im just not sure what that could have been. Does that happen occasionally too with normal pregnancies??
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi Yes you are exactly 6 weeks pregnant as of now. Yes, as long as there is no pain with cramps or bleeding, very light spotting can occasionally happen with normal pregnancies. COmpare with one more HCG value, however, a scan after a week would be conclusive. Cardiac activity should show up by then. Just make sure the ultrasound scan is done transvaginally, it provides much more information than an abdominal one. Take care.
Follow-up: Is light pink spotting normal during pregnancy? 7 minutes later
Thank you. Just one follow up question. When i was using the restroom i noticed that there was also something in the toilet that had come out of me as not sure what it was not blood droplets, it was almost like a small amount of discharge or something or tissue that was covered lightly with the same light pink blood. I have not had spotting since the incident and have had no cramping, except what ive continued to have since finding out i was pregnant. Any ideas on what that could have been in? Does that happen on occasion also with normal pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: If it was just whitish clumped discharge, that is quite normal. A fleshy mass is not normal. Did you have this thing coming out of you AFTER the scan or before the scan ? If it was before the scan, you are fine. If it was after the scan, you will have to wait for a blood test and repeat scan. In the absence of cramps and bleeding, it is most likely normal cervical discharge, so dont worry for now. Stress will only worsen things.