Is lexapro or zoloft better for depression treatment?

Which has fewer side effects for a depressed elderly women, lexapro or zoloft?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: I prefer Zoloft Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Lexapro and Zoloft are both indicated for the management of depression, and both have side effects. It is important to note that individuals react differently to different drugs. In general, in ladies above the age of 50, from my experience, especially in mild to moderate depression, Zoloft has been well tolerated. A few side effects do occur, but are actually relatively very few. In my humble opinion, I do suggest Zoloft for a start, with keen monitoring of any unwanted effects to the drug. A proper diet and respect of drug timing remains a key element that reduces side effects. Avoid taking drugs in an empty stomach. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Do feel free asking follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. Kind regards Dr Bain