Is leakage from colon into peritoneal cavity possible?

I had a liver biopsy last wednesday for methotreaxate induced liver disease with portal hypertension and esophageal varices. After 8 attempts with needle biopsy using ultrasound, instead of getting any liver tissue, the specimen was colon tissue. There was also bleeding in my liver, My hgb dropped from 12.7 preop to 9.8 postop. I was hospitalized for 3 days with anemia and severe pleuritic pain and shortness of breath, and am home now with pain pills and antibiotics. I still have not had a normal bowel movement. My question is: can the colon heal itself or do I still need to worry about leakage from the colon into my peritoneal cavity? and if it has sealed off, can it open up again?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Please give more details regarding bowel movement Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. Usually, liver biopsy is done through a fine needle and when, colon is punctioned, the lesion will be self-healed within few days. As long as there is no peritonitis (inflammation/infection of the peritoneum around the bowels), there is no need to be worry about leakage. The colon will be healed itself. As fine needle is used, once it is sealed off, it cannot open up again. With regards to bowel movements, I'd like to have more details: - have you passed gas? - do you feel bloated? - do you have the feeling of passing the motion? - what do you mean by "not having normal bowel movement"? Looking forward to have the requested data! Dr.Klerida