Is laparoscopic surgery a better option for uterine fibroid?

Thank you. I have a uterine fibroid tumor that is 16.7 cm- is laparoscopic surgery an option? I am allergic to many antibiotics and think less invasive surgery is better.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I would be happy to help with your question. Detailed Answer: In most cases, a fibroid of that size is almost impossible to remove safely using a laparoscopic approach. Many factors are important to take into consideration. Please answer the following questions and I will try to help further: 1. What is your height and weight? 2. Do you have any medical problems? 3. Have you had surgery previously? 4. What are your specific drug allergies? Thank you - I look forward to your answer.
Follow-up: Is laparoscopic surgery a better option for uterine fibroid? 24 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Raichle. 1. My height is 5'4" and weight is 130 2. no medical problems - just back pain that is untreated (may be from fibroid since it is horizontal(transverse) across my back) 3. I haven't had surgery since I was a child (tonsils removed). 4. I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa based antibiotics. I read about Lupron and it's ability to shrink fibroids. What about trying that and work towards laparoscopic surgery? I have to travel for work and am just looking at any options to do a less invasive to get back to work and reduce chance of infection. I saw where the cephalosporins(esp the 1st and 2nd generation) are the antibiotics of choice which are beta lactum antibiotics like penicillin. Are there other antibiotic alternatives? Thank you again, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: Yes, the back pain is likely caused by the fibroid. It would certainly be difficult to work out in the setting of a uterus that size. Second, the penicillin and sulfa allergy is not an issue - there are plenty of other alternative antibiotics. Another common combination is gentamicin / clindamycin. The chance of a successful laparoscopic surgery in your case is less than 50%. No matter what the approach, you should plan on at least 4-6 weeks off of work. I really wish you the best of luck. I would also suggest a second opinion. I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Is laparoscopic surgery a better option for uterine fibroid? 8 minutes later
Thank you and you have been incredibly helpful and have put my mind at ease at such a late hour. Best of luck to you and I will make sure you have the highest rating!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you!! Detailed Answer: Please ask for me by name in the future!!