Is lack of motivation and tiredness caused due to oxycodone?

Question
I have been prescribed 15 mg oxycodone every 4 hours to control pain for the past 3 years. When pain is overwhelming (often) I will take 30 mg 3X a day, morning, noon, and night but do not take more than the prescribed amount per day. 1. Pain has increased in intensity over time and oxycodone (15mg or 30 mg) has no effect in relieving pain. At this point in time, taking oxycodone has about the same effect as eating a tic tac. 2. The only thing that oxycodone does for me anymore is to relieve the pains associated with withdrawal when I try to cut back. 3. I am beginning to suspect that this medication has had a significant role in the lack of motivation I have been sufferings. Motivation for work, school, and in general life activities has suffered since I began taking this medication. 4. excessive tiredness despite 8-10 hours of sleep. I would appreciate any comments you may have on these 4 points. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Worsening of underlying disease. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. 1.Pain has increased in intensity over time and oxycodone (15mg or 30 mg) has no effect in relieving pain. At this point in time, taking oxycodone has about the same effect as eating a tic tac. Worsening of symptom due to progression of underlying disease. pain is not controlling with your pain killer, need to other treatment for this. In progressed cases not responding to medical treatment, Physical therapy and exercises for strengthening and stretching the back are often recommended, and in some cases surgery may be recommended. Surgery for degenerative disc disease usually involves removing the damaged disc. In some cases, the bone is then permanently joined (fused) to protect the spinal cord. In rare cases, an artificial disc may be used to replace the disc that is removed. 2. The only thing that oxycodone does for me anymore is to relieve the pains associated with withdrawal when I try to cut back. Oxycodone is habit forming. Mental and physical dependence can occur but are unlikely when used for short-term pain relief. If oxycodone is suddenly withdrawn after prolonged use, symptoms of withdrawal may develop. The dose of oxycodone should be gradually reduced in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms. 3. I am beginning to suspect that this medication has had a significant role in the lack of motivation I have been sufferings. Motivation for work, school, and in general life activities has suffered since I began taking this medication. yes Oxycodone can impair thinking and the physical abilities on prolonged use. 4. excessive tiredness despite 8-10 hours of sleep. Tiredness is not a symptom that defines any one particular disease. Rather, tiredness can be a symptom of many different diseases and conditions. On most occasions, fatigue can be relieved after a good night's sleep. However, this is not the case for everybody. physical examination by a doctor help to find out cause for this. Hope this information is helpful to you. Regards