Is knee pain common in women after delivery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor, How are you,I wanted to ask is the knee pain a common problem for all the women's after delivery. Regards, XXXX
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, Knee pain is a common problem. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Yes, Knee pain is a common problem after delivery. This pain may be inadequate calcium intake during pregnancy or overweight. Take calcium tablet 500 mg twice daily for a month and then take one tablet a day for over 3 months. Apply a good pain -killer gel over the painful area. Better avoid pain -killer medicines. If pain is more then take paracetamol 500 mg as SOS. Regular Physiotherapy for Quadriceps muscle (Strengthening this muscle will take off upto 60% of your knee pain). Actually you need to visit a physiotherapist for these quadriceps exercises. But I will explain you a simple at home exercise - Sit on a table or an elevation with the foot not touching the ground > make a small tubular sand bag weighing around 3 kg > Place or tie that sand bag at the level of the ankle > raise only the leg portion without lifting the thigh and hold it for atleast 10 seconds and lower the leg down > In this way raising the leg with the weight of sand bag, keeping it for few seconds and lowering it. This can be done as many number of times as you can. But don't do it too vigorously from day 1 as you tend to get muscle pains in the thigh. So just keep on gradually increasing over a few days. If pain do not subside after this basic treatment then consult your orthopaedic surgeon for clinical examination and investigation for the better management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care Warm Regards
Follow-up: Is knee pain common in women after delivery? 4 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX this would really help me.i would start doing it from today.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Glad to know that I could address your concern. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query again. I am glad to know that I could address your concern. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service. Take Care.