Ask a Urologist   »  

Is kidney stag horn surgery a major surgery?

I am suffering from kidney stag horn stone problem and need to know best urologist for surgery. I am staying in faridabad. COuld you please advise me best urologist for kdiney stag horn surgery ?
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Delhi will be better from your place. Detailed Answer: welcome to the forum. Stag-horn stone removal needs to be done in a hospital with expertise to do this procedure as well as infrastructure like well equipped icu, blood banks with enough reserve at the least. In today's world, most of us are trained and hospitals like fortis, XXXXXXX and APOLLO have the needed infrastructure. Since Delhi is not too far, it is worthwhile travelling to get it done. Hope this helps, Best regards
Follow-up: Is kidney stag horn surgery a major surgery? 1 hour later
Thank you Mr. XXXXXXX Would that be counted as major surgery ? Regards, Chander XXXXXXX
Brief Answer: yes, it is a major procedure---------------------- Detailed Answer: Dear Mr XXXX Welcome back. Surgery for stag-horn stones is a major surgical procedure. It can be done by PCNL method- making a puncture hole in the kidney from the back, enlarging the hole, making a tract, insert nephroscope, break the stones and remove them. You may require more than one procedure depending on the stone size. Blood transfusion may also be needed. The other option, not often done, is to do an open operation to remove the stone. Kindly discuss with your doctor about these issues and get it done soon, Best regards Dr Srinivasan G