Is itching in hands and feet related to small intestine resection?

I have recently had a small intestine resection and now I am experiencing severe itching in my hands and feet. Could this be related? Should I have any tests done to try and find the cause? The itching is most severe in the palms and soles.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. There is a chance that body itch can be associated to small intestine resection. Blood ammonia urea and bile salt levels increase and cause itch. However this itch is generalized and not confined to palms and soles. Please get your following blood tests done. 1. Serum urea 2. Serum creatinine 3. blood ammonia levels 4. blood bile salt levels Let me know the reports so I can help you further. Thank you