Is it viral infection if my son has recurrent headache and fever?

Question
My son came home from school yesturday with a horrible acheache. I gave him two Tylenol, the headache went away. At 2:30 am he woke up with a violent headache, low fever. I gave him two tylenol, he fell back to sleep, and today kept him home from school. On and off today his headache has come and gone. Does this sound like a virus?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Fever associated with headache is normally seen in viral illness. If there is no associated sore throat or cold or signs of infection anywhere in the body then taking tylenol and giving him a good supportive treatment will help in controlling the viral infection in 3-5 days.

Follow the supportive measures mentioned below to see beneficial response.
1. Cold sponges might be helpful to reduce the body temperature.
2. Give cold fluids orally in unlimited amounts (reason: good hydration replaces sweat and improves heat loss via skin).
3. Dress in 1 layer of light weight clothing and sleep with 1 light blanket (avoid bundling). (Caution: overheated kids can't undress themselves.)
4. Drink boiled and properly filtered water.
5. Increase fluid intake – glucose water, soups, fresh juices, coconut water.
6. Diet must be planned judiciously to provide good dose of vitamins especially vitamin A and vitamin C as these are essential for the regenerative purpose.
7. High fluid and soft diet in small frequency is recommended.
8. Food must be appetizing and made after considering the likes and dislikes of the patient.
9. Fatty, highly fibrous and very spicy foods should be avoided as they are hard to digest.

You might consult a doctor who can examine him and prescribe the proper antibiotics and supportive medications.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.