Is it uncommon to do an abdomen, lower extremities & neck ultrasound at the same time?

Rheumatologist
Question
Hi, When doing an ultrasound of the lower extremities where does it begin? upper leg by the groin area or by the knee. Is it uncommon to do an abdomen, lower extremities & neck ultrasound at the same time? Thanks!!!
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir , Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that i depends on the radiologist who is doing this . Generally they start by the knee but that doesnt make much of difference , they basically screen the entire area by moving up and down according to their convenience . Generally it is uncommon to do all at one time but it can be done in a single session also there is no contraindication for it . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Is it uncommon to do an abdomen, lower extremities & neck ultrasound at the same time? 13 minutes later
So there is no reason to have all 3 done? or even done at the same time. Why would a doctor suggest that all 3 be done?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, I will like to tell you that since you are having diabetes and hypertension ,there is a high risk for metabolic syndrome , may be for its evaluation your treating doctor recommended all three . Only your treating doctor can explain this why he got it done . Or else you tell me your problem I will try to think and correlate why he could have ordered this . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Is it uncommon to do an abdomen, lower extremities & neck ultrasound at the same time? 1 hour later
Thank you for taking your time to help me with answering my questions. The doctor that I went to did not order the abdomen or a heart ultrasound which I believe would be a better test than the lower extremities ultrasound. She did also order a test of the neck (I forgot what they call that). I don't have much pain in the legs, but I did not really complain of lower & upper abdomen discomfort. My thing is since i'm going to get these other tests done I strongly believe that it would be important to get the other tests done at the same time(abdomen & heart) ultrasounds do at the same time. I have avoided the doctors for years and now that I was able to get insurance I need to take care of my issues. So would it be out of the ordinary to get all these tests done at the same time and can they help determine my issues? Thank you!!!

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, If you request them I think they will be able to arrange that for you . It all depends on your treating doctor , if they wish they can do it . I think they did carotid doppler of your neck to see whether there is any plaque in the arteries which is a sign of atherosclerosis . Dr. Shruti