Is it true that a sedentary lifestyle can cause renal cell carcinoma? Have blood in urine, tiredness

Urologist
Question
I am trying to understand the renal system as there is a possibility that I have renal cell carcinoma: Is it true that a sedentary lifestyle could cause this, or why does my doctor here mention that a single tissue problem could have caused it, or "the medulla" I suppose this is in the kidney someplace; why do I feel tired all the time, I had blood in my urine, should I have regarded this as the first sign of renal cell carcinoma?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I understand your worry.
Sedentary life style, medulla ( i don't know what he told and what u understood) are not noteworthy in your issue.
I am worried only about the blood in urine.
This needs to be evaluated by a battery of tests of which one of them is ultrasound scan of the kidneys, which should pick up the kidney mass if any.

Kindly take medical advice asap.

Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for doubts if any.
Dr GS

Follow-up: Is it true that a sedentary lifestyle can cause renal cell carcinoma? Have blood in urine, tiredness 3 hours later
So would you say that renal cell carcinoma is asymptomatic until advanced stages?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I have seen many of them that are asymptomatic.
Having said that, there are other common causes for blood in urine.
Stone, infection are more common.
Stress is laid on cancer as, if detected early, can be curative.
Hope u understand what i mean. Pls keep me informed of the scan report.
Dr GS

Follow-up: Is it true that a sedentary lifestyle can cause renal cell carcinoma? Have blood in urine, tiredness 11 hours later
OK, I will let you know.

Hi Mr Johnnlil,

Thanks. Waiting for the scan report....

DR GS

Follow-up: Is it true that a sedentary lifestyle can cause renal cell carcinoma? Have blood in urine, tiredness 4 hours later
Guess what! No scan. But uncomplicated cystitis, I thought my wife had this, with flank pain. Doen't this happen to women only? Why the flank pain. Should a scan still be done? The doc says just a urine sample is sufficient, and that it is not pyelonephritis.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 16 minutes later
Hi
Thats good news.
Scan can be done if there are repeated episodes.
Medical practices vary across countries.
DR GS

Follow-up: Is it true that a sedentary lifestyle can cause renal cell carcinoma? Have blood in urine, tiredness 2 hours later
Why is there flank pain(a side of the lower back) in uncomplicated cystitis since it is a bladder infection, not a kidney infection? could uncomplicated cystitis become pyelonephritis?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

Urinary tract infection is called ascending infection, that is bacteria enters the urinary tract from outside to the urethra and then to the bladder.
It can ascend up the ureter to the kidneys also.
Pyelonephritis is a clinical diagnosis with fever, flank pain and urinary symptoms.
Late stage can have changes in the usg scan or CT scan.
When pyelonephritis is present, it is not uncomplicated and the term changes.
But these are not very important for the patient as such and these all are for medical personnel.
If It is a simple UTI , antibiotics for 3 to 5 days.
If pyelonehritis, to be continued for 2 to 3 weeks.
Intervention in the form of cystoscopy with stenting may be needed based on the clinical situation.
Hope this explains ur doubts.
Get well soon, reg
Dr GS