Is it suggestible to use Belladonna for chronic pancreatitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I have chronic pancreatitis. I have been diagnosed with ultrasound, CT Scan and MRI. I have the head but the rest of the pancreas is dead. I have had ongoing symptom since my gall bladder attack. (Gall bladder removed) I find Buscopan and Gravol have worked up to now on the pain. I asked my doctor about bellsdonns and we find it is discontinued in Canada. I said I would research further. I am also taking Metformin and my opthamologist has cleared me - I have no glaucoma. Would you recommend belladonna and if so, how does my doctor prescribe it?
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Belladonna not used in pancreatitis Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in. Buscopan (Hyoscine) and Gravol (Dimenhydrinate) are standard medications prescribed for the management of pain in pancreatitis. Belladonna is no longer recommended by most physicians for abdominal pain in pancreatitis. Belladonna is not considered safe to be taken by mouth any more. It is used for muscle pain and applied over the injured area as an adhesive plaster. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Is it suggestible to use Belladonna for chronic pancreatitis? 12 hours later
Thanks for the reply Could this be applied over the pancreas? What is the adhesive plaster called and can it be obtained in Canada?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
Brief Answer: May not experience desired pain relief Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. The pancreas is an organ which is placed deep within the upper abdomen and the belladonna adhesive may not provide the desired pain relief in pancreatitis. The adhesive plaster is marketed as Belladonna adhesive plaster and can be obtained over the counter in any pharmacy including in Canada. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Is it suggestible to use Belladonna for chronic pancreatitis? 25 hours later
Thank you. I guess I am trying to avoid the heavy alternatives like morphine. I just ned something to help with the spams and pain as they happen. I have found that a heating pad across the abdomen helps. Thanks again. XXXXXXX

Brief Answer: Anti spasmodics and heat pad can be used Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. You may request your doctor to prescribe anti spasmodic agents to be taken orally to decrease any spasmodic pains. Applying a heating pad on the abdomen might benefit you. Please do not use too hot temperatures as it may hurt the skin surface. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek