Is it serious to have significant presence of bacteria in urnine culture but no UTI?

Mar 2013
I am 26 weeks pregnant ..urine test showed pus cells to be 10-12 /hpf..but I am having no discomfort or symptoms adviced not to take any medication and just drink fluids as it is result of mixing with vaginal discharge it something I need to be worried about and will it go away by itself Thanks
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: GET URINE CULTURE DONE Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. It is possible that the urine sample might be contaminated with vaginal discharge. As you are asymptomatic, do not worry. The only condition you need to consider is - ABU ( asymptomatic bacteriuria ). In this condition, the pregnant lady has no symptoms of urinary tract infection, but the urine culture shows significant presence of bacteria. This condition is associated with preterm labour and neonatal complications also. I would suggest that alongwith the urine microscopy test, you should have a urine culture also. If the urine culture shows bacterial growth, then appropriate antibiotics should be taken. If the culture is negative, do not worry, as it would go away by itself. In any case, drink plenty of fluids and maintain meticulous perineal hygiene. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.