Is it safe to wash with detol before applying scabies cream?

Is it a good idea to wash my self with dettol in the shower befor I apply scabbies cream (lycrear)?
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later
Dear Friend,

Thanks for writing in.

It is usually recommed that a person has a bath with a soap and scrub. There is no specific advantage of using dettol during bath before going in for scabies treatment.

Therefore it is ok even if you take bath with dettol, however, its not really necessary.

Hope this answers your query.

Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Is it safe to wash with detol before applying scabies cream? 22 minutes later
So soaking my whole body in dettol won't help with the scabbies, and using soap is just as effective?

Will disinfectant do anything to them or is the cream the only cure?

The scabies organism lives in the burrows which it makes in the skin. Hence it is recommended that a thoroug scrub bath is taken before the application of the scabies cream. Once you take a scrub bath, the burrows are exposed and organism too. Then the cream would act and kill the organism.

Dettol has not shown to kill the organism. So its not really necessary to use it.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr Kiran