Is it safe to wash genital area with regular soap?

Can you wash your price parts with regular soap?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

First of all, just to be clear, I am hoping you are referring to your genitals, when you mentioned 'price parts'.

Now, I would like you to know that the XXXXXXX part of your genitals is your vagina, whereas, the external is called the vulva.

Now talking about the XXXXXXX part, which is your vagina. Your vagina has a certain pH, which supports only the healthy bacteria to survive. The use of soap or other chemicals, causes an imbalance in this pH, making the vagina vulnerable to bad or rather harmful bacteria. This makes the vagina susceptible to many infections. The XXXXXXX part of your genitals consists of what we call a mucosa, which has nothing but the pH to protect it. The use of soaps or other chemicals can cause harm to the mucosa as well, causing it to dry out, which will result in multiple problems, including sexual problems. Your vagina has a natural mechanism of cleaning itself, by discharging every now and then, which removes all the accumulated dirt and dead cells, thus you need not clean it. I hope I have explained this well enough.

Now coming to the external part, called your vulva. The above explanation implies for the vulva as well, except that the vulva does not have any mechanism to clean itself, which is why you might have to clean it with water, and water only. You may use your fingers to clean between the labia, but other than this, anything more can be harmful.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. I would be more than happy to answer any further clarifications you have.

Best wishes.