Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it safe to use soft bristle brush? Dentist suggested medium bristle tooth brush. Clarify?

I got a health care magic tip that to use soft bristled brush to avoid sensitive teeth.

Isn't this wrong. When I personally visited dental doctor, he advised not to use soft bristled brush. Instead he suggested to use medium and a white toothpaste.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Soft does less harm than medium

Detailed Answer:

The harder the bristles are more the erosion of the enamel occurs. Enamel is a protective coating on the tooth which if gets eroded can leave the tooth sensitive.

Hence, I consider the soft bristle brush safer than the medium or hard.

The advantage of using a medium bristle brush is that it can clean the plaque better than a soft one.

Follow-up: Is it safe to use soft bristle brush? Dentist suggested medium bristle tooth brush. Clarify? 23 hours later
Thanks Doctor,

So basically you seem to suggest medium for plaque and soft for healthy teeth?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 44 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Yes, you got it right.