Is it safe to use normaxin daily for my sensitive colon without doctor's prescription?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Doctor I have had a history of SAD , Panic attacks and depression , i was on paroxetine for a 18 months under doctors advice , i was alright after i quit i started getting violent head shivers , i visited another doctor who put me on bupron , i was on this medication for 16 months , the head shivers stopped , all this while i was constantly suffering from frequent stomach upsets so i visited a gastroenterologist who did various tests and found nothing wrong , his diagnosis was i have a sensitive colon , and he prescribed me normaxin 1-0-1 for a month, and told me to stop bupron ,After starting bupron i felt much better , my anxiety levels were down , my stomach feels great, i stopped normaxin after 1 month , and again after two months i started having the old symptoms , so i decided to start normaxin again on my own , but now i take only 1 tab at bedtime and iam fine i have been taking normaxin 1 daily since last 1 month , my query is can i keep taking normaxin daily as this seems to be working well , i know anxiety , depression and IBS are related to one another , anyway my query is can i continue to take normaxin daily , i mean is it safe for long term use or would you suggest any other medication
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: As below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Normaxin contains chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide. Of these two, chlordiazepoxide, being a benzodiazepine, is associated with the risk of dependence. That is, with time, people need higher dosages for the same response and may also start abusing it. If you keep this in mind and keep your use under control, then you can continue using Normaxin. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry