Is it safe to use jock itch powder for fungal skin infection on penis?

Question
I asked a doctor on here about minor dry skin on my penis. Sent him a picture. He said it was probably a minor fungal skin infection. He advised me to shave and keep the area clean and dry for ten days. Will a jock itch powder spray quicken the healing process? Also is it safe to spray the penile shaft with such a spray? http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/lotrimin-af-antifungal-jock-itch-aerosol-powder-spray%2c-super-size/ID=prod0000-product?ext=gooMedicines_ampersand_Treatments_PLA_Jock_Itch_Treatments_prod0000_pla&adtype={adtype}&kpid=prod0000&sst=27a6ef91-f858-57a9-4247-000003ca4ff8 this is the specific product
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Powder is better than sprays Detailed Answer: Hi I suggest 'powder'. It dries the area better than the spray. I am not sure about this product you mentioned. It says it has miconazole which is good and Lotrimin is very good agent. It says powder but it is a spray. Just ask at the pharmacy if it is powder or compressed air(like a deo). If it is powdered miconazole it can help you. Hope this answers.

Follow-up: Is it safe to use jock itch powder for fungal skin infection on penis? 19 hours later
this product sprays on as a powder its miconazole nitrate is it safe for me to apply this powder to my penis? ex. the shaft head etc... its a powder spray that goes on dry

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Miconazole powder is safe and commonly used near the penis.

Follow-up: Is it safe to use jock itch powder for fungal skin infection on penis? 12 hours later
The powder seems to be working effectively. Would you recommend a certain number of days to use it to ensure the fungal infection doesn't return. Also, is it ok to receive oral sex if I was the powder off thoroughly and wash after?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later
Brief Answer: No sex Detailed Answer: Hi A week's use should be fine. Refrain from any sexual activity during this time.