Is it safe to use humidifier for enlarged adenoids in toddlers?

ENT Specialist
Planning to get humidifier for enlarged adenoids for my 3.4 year it be helpfull for mouth breathing. And which type of humidifiers I should buy where it is available. He is in treatment with ENT and pead.dr.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer: use nasal drops not humidifier Detailed Answer: Hello I would advice you not to buy humidifier. haHumidifier causes lung infections like pneumonia. It is recently noted that many people developed pneumonia with it , you can also go through it at Medpage website. Besides humidifiers are for protection of lower airway ie lungs; not very good for adenoids. You can use normal saline nasal drops easily available everywhere and easy to use also and harmless. Use nasal drops daily for few days till weather changes. Hope this helps. In doubt do reply.
Follow-up: Is it safe to use humidifier for enlarged adenoids in toddlers? 2 hours later
Hello good mornind sir Yes nasal saline im using for nose, but how to reduce dry air in mouth during sleep he feels so discomfort in mouth to moisture his mouth...during doing steam inhalation in day time, but night if something helps me to prevent dry air it could helps his sleep lot...
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 6 hours later
Brief Answer: give decongestant syrups Detailed Answer: Hello He should breath through his nose and not mouth. if in case his nose is blocked then reason for that must be looked for like adenoid hypertrophy ,which is most common reason . For adenoid hypertrophy you can give him antibiotic and decongestant syrup .for few days after consulting your doctor. Avoid nasal decongestant drops. And most importantly let the child play like let him run. It will help in secreting adrenaline in his body and which is natural decongestant. Avoid outside food. Give him protein rich diet. In addition use normal saline spray. After this if it does not get corrected i.e. if he still breathes through mouth, then you can plan for surgical removal of adenoids which is better treatment modality. And if you do not want to get him operated then you can try mometasone nasal spray after consultation with your doctor. There has been reports in european papers about use of mometasone spray and I too have few patients who are benefitted with it. Hope this helps. Regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to use humidifier for enlarged adenoids in toddlers? 54 minutes later
Thank you sir Yes he already treated with antibiotics and now the plan is to start steroid spray as mentioned by you as well by pead dr for enlarged adenoids. As antibiotics s stopped he gets symptoms planning surgery if steroid fails. And thank u for information about side effects of humidifier. Can I use normal saline nebulisation at night to make him mentioned above for dryness. Good morning dr As we done with consultation with our pead dr and started with meta spray from night. Once at night for 1 month he prescribed, hope this helps. What side effects can it cause so I need any precaution. Expecting your valuable reply. He added citrizen syrup 3.5 ml morning and night for 5 days along with levocetrizen mont which has to continued. Why two prescription of citrizen.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Use nasal sprays Detailed Answer: Hello, Try to avoid nebuliser as nebuliser makes water particle very small that enter in the lungs, it is same as humidifier. Actually i personally try to avoid nebulisation as much as possible.It is better to make the room warm and avoid cold air exposure . If you want you can put hot water in a vessel and put it in the room for some time,so that the room air gets enough moist. Secondly metaspray is safe and can be used, in addition use normal saline nasal drops .This metaspray needs to be taken for 12 weeks for decreasing the size of adenoids . If your son has active nasal discharge then you should use cetrizine and that too one prescription .If no nasal discharge then you can avoid using cetrizine as you might have taken it previously with antibiotics. He might have written two prescription because of monteleukast .I dont know, just guess work. If no infection at present use nasal sprays only. In doubt do reply.
Follow-up: Is it safe to use humidifier for enlarged adenoids in toddlers? 17 minutes later
Yes he has got little nasal secretion that is not watety not thick. I asked him twice about citrizen given with tablets but he just askef me to give both. Ok sir thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer: give cetrizine and take precautions Detailed Answer: Hello, If there is nasal secretions then you must give him cetrizine. Most importantly do remember --- --to avoid exposure to cold, --avoid outside food, --if he has acidity or reflux disease then give cold milk , and something to eat regularly every 2 will be difficult for the kid to say about acidity but it is one of the major cause for such adenoid enlargement and nasal discharges, ear problems etc. So try to take dietary precautions .take care of constipation also. --let him play outdoor games . In doubt do reply
Follow-up: Is it safe to use humidifier for enlarged adenoids in toddlers? 52 minutes later
Hallo dr What is reflux disease how to find he affected by it. My son goes toilet everday morning once but I noticed from yesterday he has little constipation but passed stools normally. Im giving him lot of water and vegetables. How to prevent what mentioned and z he prone to it because of citrizen?
Brief Answer: It is acid reflux disease Detailed Answer: Hello , Reflux disease is acid reflux from stomach in the food pipe , which every one of us feels , the acid brash or excessive belching etc. It is seen that it is very common among children and more in child with mouth breathing. But the children cannot explain it. It can be noticed in children when the child gets up in night crying or coughing. or child who develop hiccups very frequently. The simplest thing is to give cold milk and good healthy fresh food. give every 2 hrly something to eat . Avoid outside food etc which i wrote earlier. Cetrizine does not cause constipation. Children with constipation have more of acid reflux from stomach. Continue giving vegetables and water.