Is it safe to use compound cream for knee and back pain ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My ortho dr. prescribed a compound cream for knee and back pain. 10% gabapentin, 5% diclofenac, !0% lidocaine and lipoderm. Is this SAFE to use?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you can use them safely Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case, Medication given to you are safe. Compound cream is made locally for pain relief and relaxation,usually they contains irritant and counter-irritant for pain relief.You can apply it safely. Check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Medication like methylcobalamine and analgesic will reduce pain. You can do yoga exercises and focus on spine extension exercises. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. Hope this helps. Wish you speedy recovery. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it safe to use compound cream for knee and back pain ? 5 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX Why did you say check my B12 and Vit D3? Also you mentioned methylcobalamine and analgesic will reduce pain but I was not prescribed that. Can you tell me about gabapentin (when I researched it, it said is was to treat seizures)...and what is diclofenec, lidecaine and lipoderm. Are those drugs safe. Thank you in advance.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Vitamin B12 has role in functioning of nerve condu Detailed Answer: Hello Vitamin B12 has role in functioning of nerve conduction if there are low level then mild nerve compression can lead to more damage of nerve and subsequently more back pain. Vit D3 is important for bone maintainance; low level can cause weakness of vertebral artchitecture.Weak vertebral bone can lead to diffuse back pain. Gabapentin is centrally acting drug having multiple uses, it can be prescribed to you as it has neurotropic action leading to proper nerve conduction. So it will help for reducing back pain. Yes it is also use to treat seizure. Diclofenac is analgesic with fewer side effects so you can use it. lidecaine lipoderm is local anaesthetic to reduce pain, they are safe to use. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.