Is it safe to use Promethazine for vomiting and diarrhea?
User rating for this question
my husband age 40 is vomiting and Diarrhea, started about midnight. has had about ten episodes so far. i have phenergan (promethazine 25 mg.) here at the house. he doesn't take ant prescriptions. he does take reflux medicine (over the counter brand) and motrin daily for pain. is it safe for him to take the nausea med. i already have here? i think he either has the flu or eat something icky. no fever. yet.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your husband has some kind of gastrointestinal infection (viral or bacterial). However partial bowels obstruction should be ruled out as sometimes it can give similar symptoms. The difference between the infection is that obstruction gives occasional gas and stool blockage with abdomen bloating and cramps. After such episode, diarrhea appears. In both cases you can give him antivomiting medicines (except Metoclopramidum!). Promethazine is quite safe for him. You should also keep him well hydrated (warm tea, Gatorade). Low amount of urine, dry skin, dry mouth, dizziness, low blood pressure, accelerated heart rate (over 100) are the symptoms of dehydration which should force him to visit ER. He should also visit a doctor in case of blood in stool, high fever or if the symptoms wont go away in next 12 hours. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
People also viewed
- Down syndrome and hydrocele
- Is it safe to use promethazine for vomiting and diarrhea
- 31 feeling flush headache and indigestion
- What is mastoid aircell noted with sclerosis suggestive of chronic mastoiditis
- Diarrhea vomiting leg pain
- Does citalopram have hcg in it
- Constipation with twins at 31 weeks
- What does it mean when you have a knot on your vain
- Heartburn headache nausea 31 weeks
- 32 weeks pregnant and dark black stool
- What does high troponine level mean
- Vomiting diarrhea dizziness
- Headache congestion vomiting diarrhea
- Stomach pains at 30 weeks
- Diarrhea and vomiting after hysterectomy