Is it safe to use Advil for headaches?

Hi - I was prescribed Hydrocondone/Acetaminophen 5-325 (1 pill every 6 hrs) to relieve pain from severe headaches and some body aches....It does not seem to be helping with the headaches....I switched to 3x tablets of Advil and it is effective. Should I continue with the prescribed medication?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can use advil ad it is a potent analgesic. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic. It seems from the history that you are a healthy adult without any significant health problems. You are prescribed hydricodone and acetaminophen for headache and body aches. Hydrocodone is a opioid analgesic prescribed for pain and cough. Acetaminophen is a non opioid analgesic prescribed for body aches and fever. Advil the drug which you are using is a potent non steroidal antiinflammatory drug used for treatment of body aches, headache. Advil is more potent than hydrocidone and acetaminophen and you can continue using it as it is providing better symptomatic relief. However if you have symptoms like cold cough fever you require hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Along with this the underlying cause for headache and body ache needs to be found out and requires treatment accordingly. The most common causes are viral infections, viral fevers, respiratory tract infections. Hope I have answered your questions and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Follow-up: Is it safe to use Advil for headaches? 2 days later
What is the normal or average duration of the severe headaches that accompany viral infections. Also, I understand there is no real treatment for these there anything more than rest and hydration? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Headache usually lasts for 5-7 days. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. Most of the viral infections run a short natural course of 5-7 days depending on the severity of infection and immunity of the person. The treatment of the viral infections is mainly by symptomatic treatment by using analgesics and maintaining adequate hydration. Antibiotic drugs are prescribed to prevent secondary bacterial infections. Hence myalgia or headaches associated with viral infections may last for about 5-7 days. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you