Is it safe to undergo stem cell therapy for liver cirrhosis?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My dad have a Child C liver cirrhosis and doctors have recommended liver transplant. I do not find him fit for the transplant because of his age (56) and he his diabetic with some basic kidney issues. We are thinking to undergo stem cell therapy that will actually revive his liver and later we can go for liver transplant if there is a improvement. I want to know what you think about this issue? what should be our steps? if stem cell therapy is recommend then let me know some good hospitals providing this service for liver disease.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Limited therapeutic options. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. From the reports which you have provided it appears that the patient will not be able to tolerate the surgical procedure. Bleeding issues, low blood indices, rising bilirubin, borderline renal function are indicators of poor outcome. Though liver transplant is the only hope but the chances of a successful outcome is very less. Past history of encephalopathy following surgery for renal stones is yet another poor prognostic indicator. Stem cell therapy is in the primordial stage as yet. There are no convincing results to support that as a alternative treatment. There are hardly any therapeutic options in the case. Attempting surgery unfortunately would mean just not to leave any stone unturned. I hope this answers your query. Regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to undergo stem cell therapy for liver cirrhosis? 2 hours later
Thank you doctor for the reply I hope you don't mind telling me some hospitals that do try to regenerate liver through stem cells all over India/ Mumbai. We can't find such institutes. We would like to do whatever we would able to do till the last breath. Note: Naming some stem cells institute would not make you and "health care magic" liable of anything from our side. We would like to visit them as our last hope and as a human being it would be great if you can name them. I take full responsibility. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Tata,Bombay and Hinduja hospital Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I cannot imagine the stress which you are undergoing. As of Mumbai the only place where you can reliably inquire is Tata Memorial Hospital followed by Bombay Hospital and Hinduja. The problem with stem cell is that it is much in the formative stages. As a result hospitals are not directly declaring their individual success rates. However I would surely research the places and let you know if there are places where this treatment is being successfully done. Internationally both in Europe and even in USA trials are still going on . Hence there are no confirmatory reports regarding the results of this therapy. Regards