Is it safe to undergo laser hair removal treatment during pregnancy?

Mar 2016

I would like to know if it is a good idea to have hair removal treatments with laser technology during pregnancy.

Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 40 minutes later

I like to know your current gestational age, past obstetric history and current medications regarding your query to assist you better.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it safe to undergo laser hair removal treatment during pregnancy? 1 hour later
Hi again,

So I am trying to conceive, and will know if i'm pregnant in 3 days (when my period is due). I have done hair removal treatments with laser for years now with no problems whatsoever. However i have read that skin is more sensitive during pregnancy, and that is why I am concerned about the laser hair removal, as i'm trying to conceive and might be already pregnant.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for giving additional information regarding your query.

First of all, there are no studies that have proved that laser hair removal should not be performed during pregnancy or on the women who are trying to conceive.

Though there is no documented evidence on adverse reaction of laser hair removal, it is better to avoid during pregnancy to keep in safe side.

Laser hair removal treatment works by transmitting intense laser streams on the hair follicles through enter the skin but not deep enough. Therefore, it is quite unlike to cause any risk of the developing baby.

Sometimes laser light can penetrate deeper than the top dermis levels & it may cause some changes to the fetus. For that reason, laser treatments are not recommended in the abdominal area during pregnancy. Most of the cosmetic therapists do not recommended you to undergo laser treatment till your delivery of the baby.

If you are more desirous on this method, then certain areas should be avoided for laser treatment during pregnancy. These include areolas, lower abdominal area, bikini line etc.

You can go for some risk free hair removal option during pregnancy period like shaving, waxing, hair removal cream, electrolysis etc. You can opt anyone which suits for you. After removal of hair, you can apply aloe vera gel locally for soothing effect with reduction of skin irritation.

Hope this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.