Is it safe to treat infants with medicines?

General Surgeon
My 30 days old twin kids Are having mild cold n cough due to the climTe maybe. Is it advisable to treat them with medicines besides mothers milk?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Medications necessary in cold and cough Detailed Answer: Namaskar Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Infants do occasionally have mild cough and cold which is usually viral infection and is self limiting. If the respiratory rate is normal, baby is accepting feeds well and sleeping for 1-2 hours after feeds then there seems to be no cause for concern. Being a Pediatric Surgeon , i have many babies presenting with cough and cold. I do not recommend use of any antibiotic or other medicine. I would suggest the following 1. Nasoclear Nasal drops(Normal Saline) two drops in each nostril 3- 4 times a day. It will help in clearing the nasal passage and ease breathing 2. Exclusive Breast Feeding 3. Keep the baby warm: Kangaroo care that is maintaining skin to skin contact with the mother is highly beneficial and recommended. It helps in maintaining the normal body temperature, mother baby bonding development, good mental development. 4. If there is Fever: Paracetamol(antipyretic) drops can be used. In case you need any further assistance, get back to me , will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon