Is it safe to travel by air with a newborn?

Hi Dr.

We are planning to travel in a 3 hour flight journey. Our baby girl would be 1 month old at the time of journey. Baby is was born full term and is healthy as of today, 12 days old. Is it safe to travel in an air plane with a month old infant?

Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

I understand your concern.

If it is really necessary, then you can travel. Otherwise I would prefer you to postpone till she is 2 months of age.

When a child is exposed to crowded place chances of infection are increased. This is good that your baby is healthy and born full time.

I suggest you to get your baby examined by pediatrician before flying to rule out any respiratory infection.

While travelling breastfeed your baby more frequently, so that pressure is equalized by swallowing movement. AAP(American Academy Of Pediatrics) recommends to keep baby awake before landing and if possible during whole travel.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless!!