Is it safe to take zoloft along with seroquel?

Mar 2016

Information regarding Zoloft and Seroquel together? This is for an 11 year old boy. Thinking doc prescribed the seroquel for sleep. Is this safe? should we get a second opinion?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

The following information about above said drugs will be very much useful to you.

1) ZOLOFT- It contains sertraline, an antidepressant in the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).

It is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic/ anxiety disorder, effect includes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, hallucination, headache, overactive reflexes, tremors, memory problems, weakness, breathing difficulty, fever, sweating etc.

2) SEROQUEL- It contains quetiapine, an anti psychotic medicine. It is used to treat schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic depression) in children 11-13 years old.

Side effects include stiff muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, tremors, jerky movements, swallowing difficulty, problems with speech, mask-like face, blurred vision, eye pain, increased thirst and urination, hungry, weakness, nausea/ vomiting or flu like symptoms etc.

Here, you need to consult with his treating doctor regarding this before starting these type of medication to your son. Dose adjustment & safety of drugs depend on severity of the disease or other associated underlying factors. In addition, you may take one psychiatric opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish good health for your son.

Dr Soumen.