Is it safe to take xanax and leexapro for chronic anxiety?

Dec 2012

Can i ask you a medical question? I've been diagnosed with cronic anxiety by a neurologist, and the doctor gives me XANAX 0.25 mg (1/2 tablet  once a day) And lexapro (5 mg once a day).  Do you think it's safe to take them? Because i'm still 17 years old. The description says the medicine should not be used in the treatment of adolescents under the age of 18 years.  Thank you.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be used with caution Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX The truth is that those medications can be used in children and adolescent but with close monitoring for any side effects (with the most dreaded being suicidal tendency and depression). Your doctor will have to do routine physical exams and EKGs to make sure that your psychological state and cardiovascular remain in tact. Your doctor should be able to treat you using the below plan or combination of therapies: - Cognitive behavioral therapy for your child - Medication - Family therapy - Parent education and support The role of your parents and guardians in your treatment is essential. Families play a critical role, helping to reinforce needed coping skills in the moment when their your anxiety is highest. So saying, your treatment will not only be medications but combination of two or more of the above. It is true that xanax and lexapro has description that the medication should not be used on adolescents and children but it is not completely contraindicated but I do think how ever that your neurologist started a little with strong anxiolytics and antidepressants and should have started with other medications with few side effects and that are usually well tolerated by adolescents. I also recommend that you see a psychiatrist as your treatment require a professional who can handle psychosocial disorders better. Hope this helps and wish you the best Dr. Nsah