Is it safe to take vyvanse 100mg prior to surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I'm a 38 y/o female. 5'7" and 140 lbs. the only prescription med I take is vyvanse 100mg daily. I am supposed to have the first of two knee surgeries soon. I have a screw from acl that has fallen out and is sitting in my joint. I also have torn acl graft, 4 meniscal tears and various other things that need to be done. I will be receiving cadaver acl graft, both meniscal rings, bone plugs and knee cap replacement. My doctor wants me to get the screw out ASAP. The problem is this: he wants me to d/c vyvanse 2 weeks weaning. I take vyvanse for add, but my dosage was increased to 100mg after a head injury a little over a year ago. I skip some days from time to time, but I'm afraid I won't function if I have to stop for two weeks. I have 3 small children and my short term memory is terrible without it. What are the contraindications of this med prior to surgery? I'm having trouble getting straight forward answer from my surgeon. This med is unfortunately my lifeline and important for my ability to function. 3 days is the longest I can go without it before I start losing my ability to process a thought, be able to fix a meal without forgetting what I've added. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in

Since Vynase contains lisdexamphetamine, and you are about to undergo a major surgery which would require anesthesia, it is better that we wean you off the drug slowly.

This drug could increase blood pressure and heart during anesthesia if its effect persists. So you have to stop the drug before surgery at least one day prior to surgery.

Because you have been taking this drug for a long time, so abrupt stoppage of drug will cause withdrawal symptoms.

So the best approach would be to wean you off the drug slowly before surgery.

Hope I have answered your query.