Is it safe to take the weight loss supplement CLA while taking Lamotrigine for epilepsy?

Is it safe to take the weight loss supplement CLA while taking Lamotrigine for epilepsy? I've heard that taking evenign primrose oil can cause seizures in patients with epilepsy, but CLA is safe? is that true? Thanks
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions.

Conjugated linoleic acid refers to a group of chemicals found in the fatty acid linoleic acid. It is used for cancer, atherosclerosis, obesity, weight loss caused by chronic disease. It does help reduce body fat deposits and improve immune function but it has associated risks and precautions.

Any diet pill will speed up your metabolism. When your metabolism is faster, this makes your anti-epileptic drugs (AED's) metabolize faster too, therefore the AED's may be excreted out of your system a lot faster than normal.

From what I have read about CLA, there are a lot healthier alternatives to your weight loss (such as fish oil, which is also excellent for people who have epilepsy), and does not affect insulin levels and decrease DHA (an essential fatty acid) in cardiac tissue.

As rightly mentioned evening primrose products to anyone with epilepsy may reduce the effectiveness of AED medications. I would recommend you to kindly stop taking these pills and talk to your clinician or neurologist before taking any kind of diet pill that affects weight loss.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.