Is it safe to take the treatment of herpes for a 8 months old pregnant woman ?

my name is Ab. My wife is pregnant - 8th month running.
From last 3 days she was having itching near her genital. As she can not see it she just thought its normal itching. When it went on she approached gynac. Doctor told her that its herpes & it can be cured within 5 days. Is it ok for baby? what precautions we need to take? any with regards to food intake?
age: 26, weight: 64,height: 5.1'
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Herpes infection can be transmitted through the blood circulation to the foetus causing neonatal herpes but the chances are only 5%. Most of the herpes transmission to foetus during the delivery- 95% cases.

In your case I presume the delivery is not expected for one more month.
For prevention of transmission to baby, if active lesion is present at the time of delivery, a caesarean delivery is preferred. A cervical swab culture is done to determine infection at the time of delivery.
Right now she needs treatment with antiviral drugs to cure her infection before her delivery is due.
You also need to take the treatment simultaneously to avoid recurrence in her.
No precautions regarding food intake are needed.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.