Is it safe to take sertraline and trazadone together?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
How XXXXXXX is it to take sertraline and trazadone together?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
Sertraline and trazodone belong to two different clases but they both have activity on serotonine receptors.
That therotically increases the chances of serotonine syndrome.
However if taken in small doses like 100mg of serononine and 25 to 50 mg of trazodone it shouldnt have any problem.
Hope it helps
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Is it safe to take sertraline and trazadone together? 2 minutes later
Well my sleep schedule is really messed up. You see, I am sleeping during the day when I should be at night, what should I ask my psych. to put me on? Or should I go back to my sleep doc.? What should I do, this is getting really frustrating.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Trazodone causes increased sleep and is used for sleep disturbance. However in some people it can do just the opposite and I am afraid, it may be acting the opposite in your case. In that case you can XXXXXXX your psychiatrist and ask him to withdraw trazodone and instead use a hypnotic like zolpidem or zaleplon for few days until your sleep rhythm returns. The other way is to add an activating drug like Modafinil in the morning which keep you alert during day time.
Your psychiatrist is capable of handling such issues and you need to point him out these problems.
Hope that helps
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take sertraline and trazadone together? 6 minutes later
Im am not on trazodone, but I just need my sleep back on track...ugggg, I will call my doctor in the morning with your suggestions. I am on gabapentin 600 mg, clonazapam 2mg, ropinrole .5 mg, and quetiapine 50-100 mg.

Hello
Thanks for the add on information.
If you are not on trazodone then addition of trazodone should help you. A dose of 50 to 100 mg should be good for you.
Do counsult your treating doctor for the prescription.
Hope you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy