Is it safe to take remicade treatment for Crohn's disease with open sores in colon?

I am scheduled to begin Remicade treatments for my chrohn's disease this Thursday. I am concerned about openings I have from my colon to the outside of my bottom. My doctor referred to my condition as " a watering can". It says under the Remicade information open sores will cause problems- does this refer to my condition as well?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: should not be a problem in you Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your query. The openings you have are abnormal connections between rectum and skin. These are not 'sores'. Ulcers are referred to as sores. In case of open sores, remicade can lead to infections as it is an immuno-suppressive. These connections are part and parcel of crohn's disease and not necessarily infected. Hence you can start remicade but need to be careful for infections, like any patient on remicade. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.