Is it safe to take recreational drugs ecstacy or ketamin couple of days before minor surgery?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am being put to sleep for a 10 min minor surgry on Wed. If I take the recreational drugs ecstacy or ketamin tonight will it be XXXXXXX to my surgery on wed?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Yes! It definitely may interfere with anesthetics used for inhalation or intravenous anasthesia even if this is just short procedure and you should not take that risk. Such substances may stay in our body for up to 14 days so it is not advisable to take any of these now. Of course, as a doctor I need to say that it is not advisable to use such substances at any time, but preoperatively it would be very risky to take it. It may cause prolonged activity of anasthetics, difficulties in wakening,headaches or some more serious perioperative consequances. If you do it anyway,you should inform your anastheologist about it even if the procedure will probably be canceled. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards