Is it safe to take prednisolone in pregnancy?

Mar 2016

19 week of pregnancy is prednisolone safe
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer to your query.

Basically, it is advisable not to take unnecessary medication during pregnancy period, particularly in first trimester when organogenesis of the baby takes place. But in some condition, it may be needed for good health and well being of the both pregnant woman & unborn child.

Using prednisolone in 2nd-3rd trimester (in your case 19th week) of pregnancy is mostly associated with increased risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight baby. Though, clear evidence is not found in research work.

It is seen that pregnant women having active lupus (SLE) is placed at higher risk than any other condition, treated with prednisolone in recommended doses.

Here, severity of the presenting condition is needed to be assessed clinically and by proper examination & relevant investigation. Your consulting obstetrician can make the right decision.

Hope, above information is very much sufficient to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health & successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it safe to take prednisolone in pregnancy? 32 minutes later
Actually she is ill from past 5 days Doctor said its viral bronchitis and suggested for oral steroid and nebulization was done in this case what's your call should we Continue steroid or not.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

Prednisolone has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. It means that animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate & well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Though its use in pregnancy is controversial, it can be taken safely in 2nd trimester for short term course with your doctor's recommended doses. Most evidence has proved its safety in pregnancy except in the first trimester. Also, she can continue nebulization as directed.

Certain measures are to be taken as follows:

1) Stay away from people having flu, respiratory disease or other infection.
2) Avoid allergic substance or environment in hosing complex.
3) Remove contaminants or irritants from hose hold to reduce triggering agent.
4) Complete avoidance of smoking zone or second hand smoker.
5) Stay away from pet animals or any droplet spreading agent.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

For any future query, you can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Wish her speedy recovery and take care of her.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it safe to take prednisolone in pregnancy? 22 minutes later
She is having wheezing cough and unable to sleep also her diet is severely affected due to this, today her BP was also very low any suggestion on how to treat throat Irritation and coughing so that she can sleep properly.

Its more then 5 days and situation is still not under control, I am quite anxious now as our GP has suggested 30 mg prednisolone which she has taken but still she was unable to sleep due to continuous coughing please suggest Intervention plan for the same.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks again for your follow up query.

Viral bronchitis is self limiting disease and may take 1-2 weeks to go away and depends on severity of the presenting condition. Here, role of antibiotics is useless and anti viral drugs have limited use & can't be given in pregnancy.

She should follow prescribed treatment as per her doctor's recommendation. Those are quite effective in treating viral bronchitis and have to continue few more days to get an effect.

Here, I give some guideline that can help somehow:

1) First of all, she must follow previously mentioned preventive measures in strict manner.
2) Have to breathe moist air from a humidifier/ hot shower/ hot water. The heat & moisture or vapourizer can melt or moist mucus in airways so that it can be coughed out easily and she gets some relief.
3) Cough may be relieved by drinking fluids/ hot milk and using cough drops or nasal decongestant (like oxymetazoline) but not to take coffee as it may cause dehydration.
4) Complete bed rest is advisable to get more energy to fight against infection and not to do any heavy work or strenuous activity.
5) Taking inhaled corticosteroids (like budesonide/ fluticasone) is more effective than oral steroid. You can consult with your treating doctor regarding this.
6) Avoid to take any type of cough suppression as it may aggravate the condition and reduce sleeping more than previous.
7) Regular gargling 3-4 times with lukewarm water and hexidine mouthwash solution.
8) Safe to take 1-2 spoon ginger mixed honey daily. Balanced diet should be taken as much possible as. Drink more water/ juice to stay hydrated and helps in better feto-placental circulation.

Hope, above things can help your wife to get recovery soon from her illness. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen.