Is it safe to take pill after unprotected intercourse? What are the side effects?

HI, Me and my wife had unprotected sex yesterday and i am afraid that i came before i cud withdraw. Is it safe to use a pill? will it have any serious side effects that may jeopardize health of my wife in the future or hamper anything related to pregnancy sometime later. we dont want to take any such risk . I am looking for a prompt advice if my wife has to take the pill within 72 hours.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Emergency contraceptive is a single dose tablet and should be taken as early as possible and not later than 72 hours of unprotected sex. It is not effective if taken 72 hours after unprotected sex.
Side effects of emergency contraceptives include nausea and vomitings. There may be a headache, feel tired or dizzy, have some lower abdominal pain, or find the breasts more tender than usual.

It can be used as many times as needed and more than once in any one menstrual cycle, but it shouldn't be used instead of regular contraception. Repeated use of the ECP may cause the menstrual cycle to change. There may be a shorter/longer cycle and a heavier/lighter period than normal.
It is not likely to have any effect on the future pregnancies.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.