Is it safe to take pantoprazole 40 twice a day for stomach problem?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi.I have problem with my stomach.I'm on pantoprazole 40 twice a day.I tray once bud not working. How long i can take pantoprazole 40 twice a day.? I mainly asking about the liver.I have endoskopy last may.They found nothing.since last year i have 4 months with no pain.From may till september.They says its from stress.No helicobacter.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stop pantoprazole immediately. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. If endoscopy is normal and does not reveal any abnormality then there is no need to take antacid medications. The dose which you are taking is too high.Too high adose for more than 6 months in duration can induce neoplastic changes in the stomach such as carcinoid tumors. Even H pylori is negative. I would suggest that you stop pantoprazole immediately. Instead I would suggest sucralfate suspension in the dose of one tablespoon three times a day after meals for 21 days. Increase the intake of natural antacids like bananas and cucumbers. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and spicy food stuffs. I hope this answers your doubt. Regards Regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to take pantoprazole 40 twice a day for stomach problem? 8 minutes later
Bud when i stop i feel the pain straightaway.The doctors says my body produc too mutch acid.They says from the stress.i take the doble dosage since 7 weeks now.Can i take once a day ?
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Medications,exercise and proper food essential. Detailed Answer: Hi, I would advise the following medication schedule. 1. Cap Pantorazole 40 mgms at bedtime only X3 weeks 2. Sucralfate susp. 1 tablespoon three times a day after meals x 3weeks. 3. Regular exercise daily for 45 minutes. 4. Yoga or meditation will work wonders. 5. One banana with breakfast and after dinner. I hope this answers your query. Regards