Is it safe to take nifrofuratoin for UTI follwoed by allergy tablet to counter its side effects?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, i have a uti infection which has not responded to trimetgoprim (10days) or cipro (14 days). I am traveling in mexico in verg rural area where pharmacy will give antibiotics without seeing gp. So i asked fof nifrofuratoin as after lofs of researcb it seems onlg antibiotic left to try. I knew i had a bad reaction last time i took it. Buf no other choice! I have aches and pains all ovef, nausea, headache, and now burning/itching in feet, hands and scalp. Yesterday i also became wheezy abd needing inhaler. Also very lethrgic and weak. My question is can i take a hayfevef/ allergy tablet and just keep taking the nitro because i desperafelg need an antibiotic fo work.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: A strict No Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would like to advice a strict no. There is no way that you can take a med which you are allergic to. Further reaction can be more severe and some times things can go really bad. If you have tried cipro and trimethprim , still there plenty of other options. Cefexime is a good option for uti and is safe too. Keep treating your exieting symptoms of reaction as well. But a sttict no to thedrug you are allergic to. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take nifrofuratoin for UTI follwoed by allergy tablet to counter its side effects? 21 minutes later
Ok, so stop taking nitrofuratoin, and i will try to get cefexime at pharmacy on monday. When you say keep treating your symptoms of reaction as well, do you mean take an allergy tablet? Please can you advise what mg and doasge and how many days for the cefexime? If the cefexime does not work, what other options do i have left? Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes you need to continue treating allergy Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up query. Yes you need to continue getting treated with allergic reaction until the symptkms settle down. Regarding prescribing you drugs, health care magic being an online platform I wont be able to prescribe you medicines without physically examining you. To my patients I normally prescribe 200mg twice a day for 5 days. If cefexim doesnt work the amxycillin is the next option. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.