Is it safe to take new drug esme that shrinks fibroids before surgery?

is it safe to take new drug esme that shrinks fibroids before surgery?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 17 minutes later

I would be happy to help you with your question

I am not sure what drug you are referring to - having just performed a search online. Perhaps it is known by another name in the United States.

It is not uncommon to attempt to shrink fibroids or stop bleeding from the uterus with fibroids in anticipation of surgery. The drugs that are commonly used might include:

1. Non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen, of which there are prescription versions
2. Birth control pills or the Depo-Provera shot
3. Lupron - a medication that induces a state of menopause

These are all safe drugs to use in most patients. It is very hard to achieve significant shrinkage of fibroids themselves, and the goal should more likely be to just stop whatever heavy bleeding they are causing in anticipation of surgery.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thank you and regards