Is it safe to take metafomat medicine during pregnancy?

i am into 5 th week of my pregnancy , this is my second child, my first child had pmvsd at birth which is now almost cured, the doctor has advised to take metafomat medicine that is called obimet SR in india, my sugar level are ok and i have no diabetic history from my family side
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: obimet pre -pregnancy? Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Were you prescribed obimet SR before pregnancy due to any other problem>? Normally, oral anti-diabetics are not given in pregnancy. Only insulin is advised in pregnancy, and that too in diabetics. If you were given this medicine before pregnancy, you may have to stop it while pregnant.
Follow-up: Is it safe to take metafomat medicine during pregnancy? 23 hours later
i have never taken any ant-diabetic medicine before ,this was advised to me by the doctor on visit on confirmation of my pregnancy,my fasting blood sugar level is 87 and HbA1C test result is 5%, my weight is 62 kg and i am 150cm tall.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: contraindicated Detailed Answer: You surely are not diabetic. Im not sure why you were prescribed obimet sr. I suggest you talk to your doctor and ask why it needs to be taken. Only folic acid should be taken now. Till 12wks.