Is it safe to take mesacol od in breastfeeding women?

Is it safe to take Tablet Mesacol OD in Breastfeeding women
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

I shall help you with your query, as Dr. Singal seems to be busy and also because I have extensive experience with lactation and breastfeeding related issues.

Mesacol is poorly excreted into breast milk. A few cases of infants exposed to breastfeeding mothers taking mesalamine have reported diarrhea. Although, this is very rare and very uncommon. Most continents consider mesacol to be safe during breastfeeding. If mesacol is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding, but carefully observe breastfed infants for diarrhea during maternal use of mesacol.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.