Is it safe to take mensovit plus tablet for abortion? What are the side effect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
Hello Dr, am 22 years old. Now i dont wanna to get a child. now am 5 weeks from my last period. I planned to take mensovit plus tablet to abortion. will it work and will get any side effects? pls reply me
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

I assume, that you have done a pregnancy test already, and it has become positive. Now, you want to abort it. Right?

But, mensovit plus will not work properly. You have to take mifepristone group of drug. After 2 days, you have to take misoprostol tablet, intravaginally. It will induce abortion. Normally, bleeding in a case of abortion may persist for maximum 7 days. If you experience huge bleeding or extended bleeding for more than 7 days, you have to go to a hospital.

Another side effect of this tablet is incomplete abortion. It may give rise to irregular bleeding episodes.

So, it would be better to consult with a gynecologist for clinical examination and for prescribimg the drugs required. A baseline ultrasound scan of abdomen should be done. An ultrasound scan should also be done, when the bleeding stops. It will tell you whether the abortion was complete or not. In case of any emergency, you have to consult with the gynecologist for manual evacuation.

Lastly, do not worry. Just do as I have told. You will be out of the problem.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take mensovit plus tablet for abortion? What are the side effect? 20 minutes later
Thank you Dr.

I enquired few droctos in chennai but they are not willing to do. please suggest me a clinic for abortion in chennai.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 50 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, It would be better to consult with a doctor before starting the drug. It does not mean that the doctor has to do manual evacuation. In any emergency, you just have to consult with the doctor. So, consult with any gynecologist about medical termination of pregnancy.

Name of a particular clinic cannot be told here.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.