Is it safe to take meftal spas for pain during periods and will it affect my kidney?

Hi doctor,Iv been consuming meftal spas for few years now.would like to know if consuming 1-2 meftal spas tablet every month for pain during periods will affect kidneys and health on a long run. Are there any other it bad to take meftal spas?i have symptoms of ichiness in skin and dark stool at times.kind of blurred vision,no other issues.this is worrying me.should i stop intake of tabs? Please suggest. Thanks
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unlikely this dose will create problem. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Thanks for sharing with us. Meftal Spas , if taken once or twice a month , for dysmenorrhea (excessive pain in menstruation) , it is not a problem. Kidney problems due to NSAIDs (pain killer) use is called as NSAIDs induced Nephropathy and it occur due to : 1. Chronic Long term abuse. 2. High dose consumption. So , once or twice a month consumption should not be a problem to your kidneys. But the problem , that can occur with even this much dose is , Gastritis (Acidity) problem. So , i always prefer to give my patients drugs like Pantoprazole once a day with these pain killers. You don't need to find a substitute , because for dysmenorrhea , this is the best drug. With the course of time , dysmenorrhea also subsides it self , so you would not require it. However , for the other problems you are describing i would suggest you to get your Hemoglobin checked , especially if you also have heavy bleeding during your periods. If the itching you had after consuming Meftal Spas is for the first time , it could be an allergic reaction , if you are taking this for long , and itching is for the first time , it is unlikely to be due to Meftal Spas. I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any query , you may ask me.
Follow-up: Is it safe to take meftal spas for pain during periods and will it affect my kidney? 3 hours later
Thank you for your reply doctor. So are there no side effects with the usage of meftal spas on a long run ?as i am using the tabe for years now and people say it will cause serious health issues specialy the kidneys.what can be done to avoid gastric or acidity as i do suffer from it. And why is the hemoglobin check required..?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: once a month would not harm Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. I mentioned that once a month will not cause harm to you. If you consume it excessively you will be harmed. For Acidity purpose I prefer to prescribe Tab Pantoprazole once a day with Meftal. I adviced you for hemoglobin because if you have excessive bleeding it might be low causing the symptoms you described. If you don't have any further query please close the discussion and rate it. .Stay Healthy